POSITION: Summer Policy & Research Fellow
LOCATION: San Francisco/Remote
REPORTS TO: Policy Research Manager
FLSA: Full-time (40 hours/week), Non-exempt, Temporary (10 – 13 weeks)
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Dowload this job opportunity as a PDF
About the California Housing Partnership
Created by the Legislature in 1988 as a private nonprofit organization with a public mission, the California Housing Partnership (the “Partnership”) plays a unique role in California’s struggle to provide housing that is sustainable and affordable to working families, individuals experiencing homelessness, veterans, seniors and Californians with disabilities. The Partnership is a “do-and-think-tank,” combining on-the-ground technical assistance with advocacy leadership at the state and national level to increase the supply of affordable homes in California. What we learn from providing technical assistance and training to our partners directly informs our advocacy work to improve and expand existing funding programs and create new ones. In addition, we provide statewide data tools for housing research and advocacy.
About the Position
The Summer Policy & Research Fellow will be part of the Partnership’s Research Team, a group of experienced, committed professionals working to create and preserve affordable homes for lower income Californians. The Research team consists of the CEO, the Director of Legislative and Regulatory Advocacy, the Senior Policy Analyst, the Preservation and Data Manager, the Policy Research Manager, and the Research Assistant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Policy Research Manager, help conduct a program evaluation of at least one state affordable housing program with a focus on program goals, design, accomplishments, and recommendations for future program guidelines or regulations. This project will involve both data analysis and interviews of key program stakeholders, and culminate in an internal memo, presentation, and (potentially) an external publication.
- Assist the Policy Research Manager and Research Assistant in analyzing the impact of COVID-19 on affordable housing providers and the industry more broadly, culminating in a long-form report or research brief series.
- Assist in building out the Partnership’s Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) cost database, which will inform future analysis on the costs of developing affordable housing throughout California.
- Perform other duties as assigned by members of the Research Team.
- Enrolled in a graduate program in Public Policy, Planning or related field or comparable work experience.
- Demonstrated interest in affordable housing and community development.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and database programs.
- Ability to work remotely amid Covid pandemic restrictions.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The California Housing Partnership is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage qualified people of diverse backgrounds and identities to apply. For more information about the Partnership, visit our website at www.chpc.net.
Compensation: The hourly rate of pay for this position is $20-25/hour. This is a temporary position and is not eligible for benefits aside from paid sick and holiday leave.
TO APPLY: Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Summer Policy & Research Fellow – [YOUR LAST NAME]”.
In your cover letter, please also include a response to the following question: What professional or personal experiences inspire your commitment to community development and social justice?