Please contact our Director of Legislative and Regulatory Advocacy through our Contact Us form for more information.
2021 State Recommendations
The California Housing Partnership urges state leaders to:
Adopt California’s Roadmap Home 2030 – a comprehensive framework of equity-centered, evidence-based policy solutions to create structural change in how California addresses housing and homelessness over the next decade, with clear mileposts for success.
In 2021, the Partnership urges state leaders to take the following specific actions:
- Make permanent the $500 million annual increase to the California Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Program to jump-start affordable housing production and provide an additional $100 million annually to rehabilitate existing affordable rental properties.
- Create a new Affordable Housing Preservation Tax Credit to preserve existing affordable housing at risk of conversion and to fight displacement pressures.
- Allow affordable housing to be built by right on land currently zoned for commercial or public uses and on church-owned lands.
- Streamline all state financing sources for rental housing funding programs through a single application and award process to reduce development costs.
- Reduce the threshold for voter approval of local funding of affordable housing and infrastructure from 67% to 55% as was done for educational facilities in 2000.
- Exempt supportive housing and affordable housing from CEQA reviews.
Please visit roadmaphome2030.org/solutions for additional state policy recommendations.
Co-sponsored by the California Housing Partnership. Please take action today to put the sample letter(s) for each bill on your letterhead, upload each letter to the Legislature’s Position Letter Portal, and send copies to email@example.com.
AB 989 (Gabriel) Increasing Affordable Housing Production Through Faster, Cheaper, And More Effective Enforcement of the Housing Accountability Act
AB 1288 (Quirk-Silva) Increasing the Effectiveness of State Low-Income Housing Tax Credits
AB 1423 (Daly) Reducing Affordable Housing Costs by Funding HCD Loans During Construction
- AB 1423 Fact Sheet (PDF)
- AB 1423 Sample Letter – 06/2021 (Word)
- AB 1423 Sample Letter to Governor – 09/2021 (Word)
- AB 721 (Bloom) Voiding recorded covenants restricting unit size or quantity or number of residents in affordable housing | AB 721 Support Letter
- AB 1043 (Luz Rivas) Acutely low income definition | AB 1043 Support Letter
- AB 1124 (Friedman) Permit fees for solar installation | AB 1124 Support Letter
- AB 1304 (Santiago) Housing elements and affirmatively furthering fair housing | AB 1304 Support Letter
- AB 1487 (Gabriel) Legal assistance for tenants program | AB 1487 Support Letter
- ACA 1 (Aguiar-Curry) 55% approval threshold | ACA 1 Support Letter
- SB 8 (Skinner) Housing Crisis Act of 2019 extension and cleanup | SB 8 Support Letter
- SCA 2 (Allen) Article 34 repeal | SCA 2 Support Letter
AB 434 (Daly) Streamlining HCD Rental Housing Programs into a Single Application and Award Process
Return to parent page: Legislative & Regulatory Advocacy