Position Announcement: Communications Manager or Associate
The California Housing Partnership is hiring a Communications Manager or Associate (depending on skills and experience) to translate our affordable housing advocacy and research into compelling material that reaches and resonates with policymakers, advocates, community leaders, funders and the media. Our ideal candidate is a team player with substantial communications experience, strategic vision, and a demonstrated commitment to affordable housing and/or energy and water equity for low-income Californians.
Key roles and responsibilities include:
- Develop inspiring key messages, fact sheets, outreach materials, grant proposals and reports, media correspondence, social media posts, newsletters, infographics, charts, presentations, blog posts and other communications materials.
- Manage and plan updates to our website and social media accounts.
- Develop and track media relationships and metrics on our reach and impact.
- Manage and grow the Green Rental home Energy Efficiency Network (GREEN), including organizing peer-to-peer talks, advisory board meetings and events.
Qualifications for the position include:
- Strong writer with proven ability to translate complex ideas into compelling messages for policymakers, funders and the media.
- Minimum three years relevant work experience in strategic communications and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; graduate degree in a related field can be substituted for one year of work experience.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence and autonomy as part of a small, collaborative, team-oriented office.
- Strong organizational skills including ability to juggle multiple projects, prioritize, and meet prescribed deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, visual design software, web publishing platforms and Google collaboration tools. Familiarity with Apple computers a plus.
- Proficiency with Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Familiarity with other social media platforms a plus.
- Experience in and/or demonstrated commitment to helping lower income households access affordable housing highly preferred.
- Experience with housing finance, energy or water equity, clean energy, highly valued.
- Experience with grant application and reporting processes a plus.
- Event planning skills a plus.
- Public speaking skills and advocacy experience are a plus.
- Able and willing to travel occasionally within California.
This is a full-time exempt position based in our office in the financial district of San Francisco. Salary for this position is based on experience, and compensation includes a competitive package of health and dental benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CHPC is an equal opportunity employer where diversity is considered an asset.
Send cover letter, resume, and a recent, published writing sample (800 words or less) to Director of Operations Chris Maxwell (email@example.com) by January 19. Subject line should read “Communications Manager – LAST NAME”
The California Housing Partnership Corporation (CHPC) assists nonprofit and government housing agencies to create and preserve housing affordable to lower-income households, while providing leadership on housing preservation policy and funding.
Each member of our staff brings a deep commitment to our mission and an average of fifteen years of experience in the development, financing, and advocacy in support of the preservation and expansion of affordable homes for lower income Californians.